Wednesday, September 8, 2010

And for my first trick:

Where's better to start than my own favorite game:

 

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I picked up this game back in August of 2004, at an electronics store, for $40; having always been a Star Wars fan I figured I would enjoy the game, putting it lightly, enjoy was crafted a new meaning as I slaved away in front of my dusty old CRT monitor for hours at a time.
This game was my first proper video game addiction and in some ways it is still my main one.

Game Play
The gameplay in this game is quite similar to many other RPG's of the time, a step away from action and a focus on tactics and immersion. Most flounder like a fish on acid when they attempt this, but it just seems that KotOR was just the right kind of fish.
Regardless of the fact that KotOR pulls off what it set out to achieve, it can not be masked that the gameplay at some times felt stifling and supplementary to everything else.
As a whole though it was a rather marvellous affair that fell short of being truly memorable, as such I'm giving the gameplay a 7/10.

Graphics
I'm going to set myself a precedent here, every game reviewed will be given a graphics rating based on how it compares to other games of its own period.
As anyone can see KotOR was definitely not a diamond in the rough when it comes it visuals, let alone a diamond in its own right; yet the visuals were neat, simple and enjoyable enough to push along the experience.
However, KotOR has a wonderful and unique art style, nothing is overlooked, everything is either spit'n'polished or caked in a layer of grime.
As visuals can inflict upon the immersion they can matter quite a bit in a story driven RPG such as KotOR, so it's not surprising the amount of effort put into the art style; I give KotOR's Graphics a 6.5/10.

Sound
KotOR is one of those games that stains your mind with its sounds, you’ll hear the sound ten years on and place them in a second; of course quality of the sound is definitely subjective but as far as in game sounds go these are brilliant.
Of course, being a Bioware game, KotOR has a nice score, one that definitely fits the Star Wars atmosphere; but let’s forget about that for now and go back to daydreaming about those blaster sounds.
I’m giving KotOR’s Sound a rating of 8.5/10.

Replay Value
KotOR, being an RPG is bound have lasting replay value, a decent run will net you 40 hours at your computer desk; but fret not my friend for KotOR has a multitude of ways to play and to find every facet of the game will take at least 10 if not more play throughs.
In its own right KotOR is a FUCKING HUGE game, that at times is seemingly endless; but for some reason millions of deranged fans, like myself, got caught up in the modding community for this game and as a result there are tens of thousands of mods for this game to change it up.
I could not rate a game higher than KotOR when it comes to Replay Value and for me this is where this lump of coal is polished into a fist sized diamond; I give KotOR a 10/10 for replay value.

Overall
Gameplay: 7/10
Graphics: 6.5/10
Sound: 8.5/10
Replay Value: 10/10
Overall: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment